Do you need support for the Disability Royal Commission?

The Australian Government is funding counselling and advocacy support services for people with disability who have experienced violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation, and anyone who is engaging with or affected by the Disability Royal Commission. These services are free, independent and confidential.

Anyone who wishes to access these supports does not need to make a submission or have any prior involvement with the Disability Royal Commission.

Counselling support

Do you have a disability? Has someone hurt you physically, treated you badly or taken advantage of you?

A counsellor will support you to talk about your feelings and emotions in a safe space, and work out a problem or issue. A counsellor can help you talk about your feelings if something bad has happened to you or if someone has hurt you. They can also help you if you are thinking about telling your story to the Disability Royal Commission.

Whatever you decide to share with the counsellor is private – it is not shared with anyone else. You do not have to give your name if you don’t want to.

Contact the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 or 02 6146 1468. It’s open 9am to 6pm weekdays, and 9am to 5pm weekends and national public holidays.

Advocacy support

You or a family member or carers acting on your behalf may need an advocate to help you communicate or understand how to engage with the Disability Royal Commission.

An advocate can help you to tell your story and find the right supports to help you with communication or legal issues.

You can call the National Counselling and Referral Service on 1800 421 468 to be referred to an advocate or visit

The Disability Royal Commission

The Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability (Disability Royal Commission) will run until 2023. For information about the work of the Disability Royal Commission, including attending public hearings or making a submission call 1800 517 199 or visit